Congrats to Ontario M1 racer Bruce Bird on winning the pro/1 race

#2 rbart4506

rbart4506

Uber Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

Why is Bruce racing as an M1 in Ontario??

Not that it makes a difference to this hack....

#3 blarg

blarg

Uber Member

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

Not that it makes a difference to this hack....

Sandbagger.

#4 Fleck

Fleck

Uber Member

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

With all due respect to Bruce and not really directed at him but in a broader sense, it's a good question to ask.

At it's most basic I get it with all the categories in cycling. In theory it makes sense. And by extension, the ability based categories in the masters group in Ontario, again in theory, or on paper at least, is understood as well. In practice though, and in action, both leave a great deal to be desired.

However, wouldn't it be best to have the absolute 50 - 100 best cyclists, regardless of age, or category, starting together and racing one another? Isn't this what racing is all about?

#5 Jratt

Jratt

Uber Member

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:09 AM

I'm looking forward to the Race Report on this one...1:27 gap on the peloton, awesome. Curious to know what part of the race he decided to make his move. Maybe the last set dirt of climbs?

Perhaps the question isn't why is Bruce racing M1 but why are there so many guys racing Elite 1/2 who belong in the Masters peloton.

#6 Spunout

Spunout

Uber Member

• Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

Perhaps the question isn't why is Bruce racing M1 but why are there so many guys racing Elite 1/2 who belong in the Masters peloton.

To ride 80km races? LMFAO!

#7 fattymcgee

fattymcgee

Uber Member

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

This is pretty cool...Ryan Roth wins one of the coolest races on the pro calendar and you guys are posting on when some sandbagger made his move in the mini-Battenkill. I'm not normally one to gush about pro results but man...c'mon.

#8 Jratt

Jratt

Uber Member

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:48 PM

Hey Fatty, had Kevin not started this thread would you have ever mentioned Ryan's win?

Bruce is 40+, won 40+ last year and this year won P1. Hardly sandbagging. I guess he could of joined a team with a group of 19-23 yr olds and raced the Sunday but...hmmm.

#9 gormleyflyer

gormleyflyer

Uber Member

• Members
  • 303 posts
  • Interests:sledding, MX, moto trials

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

fatty isn't happy until he takes it into the crapper............(is there an option to ignore certian posters on the forum)

nice work BB, not surprised but still impressed.

cheers, B Kelly

ps...what race did RR win ?

#10 fattymcgee

fattymcgee

Uber Member

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

fatty isn't happy until he takes it into the crapper............(is there an option to ignore certian posters on the forum)

cheers, B Kelly

ps...what race to RR win ?

Wrong again...I'm not happy until I point out the lameness of so many of the MAMIL's that occupy this forum. Job done.

Good for Bruce, really...I don't know him from a hole in the ground, but where I come from, regardless of his age, he's a sandbagger. The fact that he won a regional 1/2 race so handily proves it.

gorpy, if there was such a feature....I probably wouldn't have reason to post (see above reason).

Now stop acting hurt long enough to watch a bike race.

#11 brokenspokes

brokenspokes

Uber Member

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

My question is why was his 11 or 12 M1 domestiques wasting time utilizing the wrong side of the road & cop car in the Good Friday Race if he is good enough to win a Pro1 race.

#12 MikeNovo

MikeNovo

Uber Member

• Members
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:08 PM

When did this turn into a flame session? Congrats Bruce on a job well done!

Now I'm gona look for the thread on Roth to send him congrats also...
To go faster, you must first realise you are slow.

#13 mstrcodhead

mstrcodhead

Uber Member

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:54 AM

cheers, B Kelly

ps...what race to RR win ?

Wrong again...I'm not happy until I point out the lameness of so many of the MAMIL's that occupy this forum. Job done.

Good for Bruce, really...I don't know him from a hole in the ground, but where I come from, regardless of his age, he's a sandbagger. The fact that he won a regional 1/2 race so handily proves it.

gorpy, if there was such a feature....I probably wouldn't have reason to post (see above reason).

Now stop acting hurt long enough to watch a bike race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40dM5sCJ9N4

Not that anyone needs to defend against your 'sandbagger' accusations, but consider this.

Bruce is fairly new to bike racing. He came up through M3, M2, M1. I believe this is the first time he's even ridden in a race such as the one that he won on Saturday. So, you see he took out a license for M1 at the start of the year (which he's entitled to do, given his age) believing that is his level. Now being of the ability level to be able to win a race in a higher category doesn't make him the evil sandbagger.

Also, (and I regret that these discussions are even going on, on what was supposed to be simply a pleasant congratulations thread) there are many reasons why someone wouldn't want to race in cat other than the one designed for them, social and practical reasons. But that discussions for another time.

And, Ryans win (which was great. Congrats.) came on Sunday. The congrats to Bruce started early on Sunday morning. Maybe you could have just started a new thread to congratulate Ryan.

#14 mstrcodhead

mstrcodhead

Uber Member

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:58 AM

And to make it clear, in case you don't realize. Once one takes out a license such as M1, you're committed in Ontario to race M1, you can't just switch up to the young guys because you feel like it.

#15 brokenspokes

brokenspokes

Uber Member

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:16 AM

" I believe this is the first time he's even ridden in a race such as the one that he won on Saturday."
I believe you are informally misinformed.
2011 Battenkill.
Bruce Bird of Wheels of Bloor out-sprinted Roger Aspholm, the US National RR Champion and 149 other riders to claim victory in the Masters 40+ Category.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users