36 replies to this topic

#16 Kickstand

Kickstand

Uber Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:01 AM

Contrary to popular belief Kicky knows a thing or two about bike racing. Having been around the block and back believe me when I say that Bruce is the greatest talent to hit the Ontario scene in a very long time. Again I ask. Who else has won 10 races in one season in 12 or some starts? I can't think of anyone. Did Bauer used to do it? I don't know.

The guy works his way up from M3 to a North American Pro level win in 3 years! Where's the sandbagging?! Haters and Trolls you make me laugh.

By the way, unlike some 20-something Pro, Bruce has a couple other obligations. He works full time and is raising a family.

Congratulations Bruce.

Kickstand

#17 Kickstand

Kickstand

Uber Member

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:03 AM

#18 Jerome

Jerome

Uber Member

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

Contrary to popular belief Kicky knows a thing or two about bike racing. Having been around the block and back believe me when I say that Bruce is the greatest talent to hit the Ontario scene in a very long time. Again I ask. Who else has won 10 races in one season in 12 or some starts? I can't think of anyone. Did Bauer used to do it? I don't know.

The guy works his way up from M3 to a North American Pro level win in 3 years! Where's the sandbagging?! Haters and Trolls you make me laugh.

By the way, unlike some 20-something Pro, Bruce has a couple other obligations. He works full time and is raising a family.

Congratulations Bruce.

Kickstand

I agree, heck of an accomplishment for someone with a full time job and a family. Congrats to Bruce.

#19 Kickstand

Kickstand

Uber Member

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

Why is Bruce racing as an M1 in Ontario??

Not that it makes a difference to this hack....

Sandbagger.

You f***ing dummy.

Would you like to offer him a Pro contract, have him leave his wife and kids to go and play 'hey look at me I'm a North American Pro!'.

#20 Fat Bastard

Fat Bastard

Uber Member

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:05 AM

I get a kick reading these forums. So many whiners, bitchers, hacks and the sort.
"Oh, I have to stay on one side of the yellow line!"
"Someone can kick my ass, so he must be a sandbagger!"
"Blah blah blah"

Get over yourselves.
1) Yellow line rule has always been here and will likely always be. Get used to it and learn to stick your nose in the wind if you have to.
2) Racing against Bruce gives you the opportunity to make yourself stronger. Think of it as motorpacing!.

Bruce is a frickin' deisel engine. Ya, he can kill the ontario M1 field, but under OCA licensing rules, he is as high as he has to go. He is over 40, so they can't force him to be senior. Maybe you haters are just jealous that you can't beat him and can only elevate your self esteem by putting him down. Grow up, train more, whatever.

Congrats Bruce. I can only dream of having your power.
FB.

#21 Fleck

Fleck

Uber Member

• Members
  • 372 posts

Maybe you could have just started a new thread to congratulate Ryan.

Just like our current Federal Government, it's better to demonize any sort of opposition with a rain of negativity, and attack the questioner! :)

#22 SmoknOne

SmoknOne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

And to make it clear, in case you don't realize. Once one takes out a license such as M1, you're committed in Ontario to race M1, you can't just switch up to the young guys because you feel like it.

Yes you can upgrade your license at anytime of the year. Just a request to the OCA's high performance committee is needed.

Congrats to Bruce. He's obviously doing the work necessary to win these big races. He should move up and reap the rewards of his efforts. He has one more than one race of this caliber. Last year's Centurion rings a bell. Ok its a GF, but the front 100 are easily racing it.

Not to knock Bruce, but the elite field in Ontario needs riders of his caliber to make our younger ones better and stronger too. Good sportsmanship would equal him moving up to S1/2. "Sandbagging" is beyond where he is at. M1 is supposed to be for washed up racers who can't put in the time and training to race Senior. From what I've heard he's 15-20+ hours a week. Same as what most top Ontario S1's are doing...

#23 BackinBlack

BackinBlack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

You guys take this stuff way to seriously it's beer league!!! For the record if you can't beat Bird on the bike your comments are viewed as basis towards the following premise "I wish I could do that, ride like Bird... but all I can do is bash him cause I am a weak S.O.B"... so you snatch yourself a nice alias.... and type your envious ass off, and title the whine as SANDBAG you guys disgust me.....I haven't been this disgusted since the fever brothers beat that dude up at the midweek crit. You all need to watch this and take a hard look at yourselves!~

#24 rhys spencer

rhys spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:17 PM

awesome Race Bruce. Well played reading your race report. Big FKN deisel indeed.

#25 David Conroy

David Conroy

Uber Member

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:22 PM

Looks like he rode a smart race, worked with a few guys, then had the strength and smarts to ride away for the win. Hats off to him.
http://www.canadianc...ws.php?id=23797

If you look at the S1 teams, 90% of them are trying to field squads of younger riders. Last year one of the squads did receive more than a share of comments and some criticism because a number of their top riders were over 33... (one being a well known 43 year old who's been racing for years).

So here's a what-if----
Bruce moves to S1. He's not going to ride solo because he wants team support. So who does he ride with, as the rest of this team-mates are unlikely wanting to move up to S1 as a group. Most of the S1 riders are under 30 and the marquee squads are trying to field and support and develop younger riders.

WOB has an S1 team with Peter Mazur and Derek Ivey. Sure the 3 of them riding together would be a strong group. But who rides for who, would there be backlash from the posters here if he didn't ride in support of one of them, or even worse, if they rode in support of him? That's 3 strong chiefs without a lot of indians.

And here's an opposite question... What would be the reaction be if all of the riders over 35 in S1 suddenly decided next year they were going to drop down to M1 because it meant less commitment... There are quiet a few and several are very competitive (at least on the Ontario circuit).

At the end of the day, Bruce is 40+ years old, commits to training 15-20 hours a week and is one of the strongest guys in M1. You can't knock him for that. He sounds like someone who went from triathlons to racing, and in very short time really learned the nuances of the sport as can be shown in his reports. Not only is he a strong rider, but he knows when to ride strong, which many people have told me is 90% of the game. And we're criticizing him for this?!?!?

#26 kiloman

kiloman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

Congratulations Bruce.

Kickstand

Actually it has been done before, in Ontario, but not in a couple of decades and it was actually done in the "veteran 1/2" category as it used to be called, for a good 4 or 5 years in a row, and that individual remained competitive (winning races) into his early 50's. But it is obviously very rare to see that talent at any level. Cudos to Bruce!

#27 fattymcgee

fattymcgee

Uber Member

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

I get a kick reading these forums. So many whiners, bitchers, hacks and the sort.
"Blah blah blah"

Get over yourselves.
1) Yellow line rule has always been here and will likely always be. Get used to it and learn to stick your nose in the wind if you have to.
2) Racing against Bruce gives you the opportunity to make yourself stronger. Think of it as motorpacing!.

Bruce is a frickin' deisel engine. Ya, he can kill the ontario M1 field, but under OCA licensing rules, he is as high as he has to go. He is over 40, so they can't force him to be senior. Maybe you haters are just jealous that you can't beat him and can only elevate your self esteem by putting him down. Grow up, train more, whatever.

FB.

Just to be clear, I have not, nor will I ever, race against this fellow. I was probably finished racing when he was running around in a banana hammock. I'm not a hater either (unless you count my general distaste for masters racing...and maybe banana hammocks). I'm sure he's a nice guy. He writes really long race reports, there has to be a touch of egotism there, but other than that I have nothing other to say than he is strong enough that he shouldn't be racing masters. He can clearly handle himself in a P/1/2 race with the time commitments that he has put in currently, so he should do it. Winning 10 races out of 12 starts as "Kicky" states and not moving up to a more challenging category (one that will not require any additional sacrifice in his life) is kinda...well...lame.

My comments were not about Bruce, they were about how insular and egoistic much of the masters scene has become. I went to my first bike races with masters riders...now there are masters only teams, masters race reports, sponsorships for masters....sure there is some nice window dressing here and there but man it's brutal.

Now many of you will say "what do you do for the sport". That's a nice way of saying "I don't care about this, buzz off". I know what I DON'T do (see above) and that alone leaves me above my own criticism (for now). I have to say though, many of you (not all it's true) need to take a hard look in the mirror when you assess the sport you profess to love. Warts and all.

Just a word, if anyone is really hurt by this, and I know some will be, PM me, just don't get all abusive like the last fellow, it will be deleted by the mods and your little bottoms will be spanked.

#28 Fat Bastard

Fat Bastard

Uber Member

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

"Blah blah blah"

Get over yourselves.

FB.

Just to be clear, I have not, nor will I ever, race against this fellow. I was probably finished racing when he was running around in a banana hammock. I'm not a hater either (unless you count my general distaste for masters racing...and maybe banana hammocks). I'm sure he's a nice guy. He writes really long race reports, there has to be a touch of egotism there, but other than that I have nothing other to say than he is strong enough that he shouldn't be racing masters. He can clearly handle himself in a P/1/2 race with the time commitments that he has put in currently, so he should do it. Winning 10 races out of 12 starts as "Kicky" states and not moving up to a more challenging category (one that will not require any additional sacrifice in his life) is kinda...well...lame.

My comments were not about Bruce, they were about how insular and egoistic much of the masters scene has become. I went to my first bike races with masters riders...now there are masters only teams, masters race reports, sponsorships for masters....sure there is some nice window dressing here and there but man it's brutal.

Now many of you will say "what do you do for the sport". That's a nice way of saying "I don't care about this, buzz off". I know what I DON'T do (see above) and that alone leaves me above my own criticism (for now). I have to say though, many of you (not all it's true) need to take a hard look in the mirror when you assess the sport you profess to love. Warts and all.

Just a word, if anyone is really hurt by this, and I know some will be, PM me, just don't get all abusive like the last fellow, it will be deleted by the mods and your little bottoms will be spanked.

1) I am intrigued in how it seems you felt that my comments were directed *only* at you. They were not.
2) How on earth would anything you said here be hurtful? Rather truthful in my opinion. Yes there are Masters only teams and sponsorships. There are a lot of Masters riding around, why not stick your company logo on their backs!!??
3) Are you saying what I wrote is abusive? If so, you must have rather thin skin. I doubt the mods would delete what I stated as it is a cold hard truth, and most importantly, I didn't point fingers or name names.

#29 Kickstand

Kickstand

Uber Member

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

Congratulations Bruce.

Kickstand

Actually it has been done before, in Ontario, but not in a couple of decades and it was actually done in the "veteran 1/2" category as it used to be called, for a good 4 or 5 years in a row, and that individual remained competitive (winning races) into his early 50's. But it is obviously very rare to see that talent at any level. Cudos to Bruce!

Thanks Kiloman. Are you allowed to say who that person was?

#30 fattymcgee

fattymcgee

Uber Member

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:54 PM

FatB...never said your comments were only directed at me (I'm equally intrigued in how you are intrigued...baffling)...but they were at me in part, no doubt. In regards to #3 I got a really nasty PM, not from you, from another awesome guy. If you read my comment I state that fact clearly.

#2...if you are getting company logos on your back, maybe you could throw one of those jersey's on a junior...just sayin. Is that crazy? I ask all masters riders reading this right now, is that too crazy, to throw some of YOUR good fortune towards a young rider, junior, espoirs or elite? Is it too much to ask to be a leader in YOUR community, the cycling community?

Maybe it is. Maybe it just isn't tenable. I don't know, maybe times are so radically different that we can't throw a junior in a car and go to a race like so many did 20 or 30 years ago. Maybe we NEED masters teams for the sport to survive in this country. Wow.

If anyone cares to address this, we can start a new thread, I'm sure Bruce and his fans are getting bored of reading this other stuff by now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users