• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Helwig

Chris Helwig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:Full time endurance coach. Proud Father of two.

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:10 AM

I bought a set or Reynolds Carbon Wheels that came with their Reynolds Blue Carbon Brake Pads.

Wheels look super sweet, only problem is the brake pads came with 3 lefts and only 1 right.

I have some more pads on order, but the question is can I use 2 left pads on the same brake? Visually they look almost identical, but obviously don't want to risk anything.

Any info would be appreciated.
www.coachchris.ca

#2 ernie

ernie

Uber Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

I looked at the pads at our LBS, the material doesn't seem to be directionally oriented. You should be able to use on either side. Install them and after a while switch front and back to see if there is any difference.

#3 wiseguy

wiseguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:11 PM

I haven't bought a set of brake pads in years so I'm going to take a wild guess . . . . .

The only difference between the right and the left is where the little hollow on the back of the pad is for the set screw to hold it in place.

ie, looking at the back of the pad: ( * _________) is right and ( __________ * ) is left.

The hollow will be towards the rear when in the brake shoe.

Let me know if I'm right !

Cheers,
Wiseguy.

#4 Chris Helwig

Chris Helwig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:06 PM

Thanks for the replies.

The hollow for the screw is at the back for both and they look almost identical.

I called my LBS and the owner who also does a lot of wrenching said I could use 2 lefts.

When I get the new pads I will still switch it up to a right and a left but should be good for now.

Only trouble is I was hoping to ride the nice bike this weekend for some Z4 intervals, but definately looks like a beater bike weekend in London ):
www.coachchris.ca

#5 wiseguy

wiseguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

OK, now I'm just curious. Isn't there a slight curve to the pad to match the rim, or are they really dead straight?

I don't think I'll be getting out tomorrow, even on a beater. But then again, I'm getting softer every year.

Wiseguy.

#6 Chris Helwig

Chris Helwig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:59 PM

Other pads I have used do seem to have a difference from right to left, but these Reynolds pads look almost identical. If there is a curve it is not much.

Having said that once I get more pads I am going to match them up with a right and a left.
www.coachchris.ca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users