13 replies to this topic

#1 Redrider

Redrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:16 PM

Very disappointing to see only the results of the womens Liberty Classic race in Philly being posted on CC when the men's race got a full story. There were many Canadian women in the race. Lex Albrecht had an awesome day becoming Queen of the Mountains after a near 3/4 of the race solo breakaway. The Juvederm-Specialized team was there in force. So was the Re:Form team. Joelle Numainville finished 4th and I am sure there were other Canadians on other teams too.
Unfortunately the poor minimal report (re: race results) were not even adequately done: at least one Canadian - my wife - did not have her name high-lighted like the other Canadians and like normal practice CC editors follow when reporting on races. Too bad.

I don't know why the men's race warranted so much more coverage than the women's race. But CC was not alone.... Velonews had minimal coverage as the even was going on but at least had a full report later in the night. But to add insult to the women, a photo of Lex on her solo break was mislabelled as another rider. The best report on the race I found was from Cyclingnews, based out of Australia.

It's great that CC supports Spidertech as much as they do, and all the other Canadian men doing well and doing the high level races. But why not give the women and their teams equal respect? They deserve it, their sponsors would appreciate it, and it will go a long way to supporting and promoting Canadian cycling showing that our women can compete on an international level.

Kevin

#2 Editoress

Editoress

Uber Member

• Admin
  • 226 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:15 PM

Very disappointing to see only the results of the womens Liberty Classic race in Philly being posted on CC when the men's race got a full story. There were many Canadian women in the race. Lex Albrecht had an awesome day becoming Queen of the Mountains after a near 3/4 of the race solo breakaway. The Juvederm-Specialized team was there in force. So was the Re:Form team. Joelle Numainville finished 4th and I am sure there were other Canadians on other teams too.
Unfortunately the poor minimal report (re: race results) were not even adequately done: at least one Canadian - my wife - did not have her name high-lighted like the other Canadians and like normal practice CC editors follow when reporting on races. Too bad.

I don't know why the men's race warranted so much more coverage than the women's race. But CC was not alone.... Velonews had minimal coverage as the even was going on but at least had a full report later in the night. But to add insult to the women, a photo of Lex on her solo break was mislabelled as another rider. The best report on the race I found was from Cyclingnews, based out of Australia.

It's great that CC supports Spidertech as much as they do, and all the other Canadian men doing well and doing the high level races. But why not give the women and their teams equal respect? They deserve it, their sponsors would appreciate it, and it will go a long way to supporting and promoting Canadian cycling showing that our women can compete on an international level.

Kevin

Kevin

Thanks for the Rip

CC (both Rob and I) were at the Canada Cup in Hardwood all day yesterday. We were not in Philly. OK?

The REPORT for the men's race was compiled from a provided by the organization and Spidertech.

The women's report came in from the Colavita/Forno D’Asolo team 45 minutes ago

The women's results were posted before anyone else had them up - Cnews, VeloNews NOBODY had them up sooner

CNews is not based out of Australia and has not been for 5+ years. It is now owned by a UK based organization called Future plc. You may have heard of them. They are a multi million $$ company publishing 180 magazines and too many websites to count. They have half a dozen F/T staff based in the US alone. CC is 2 people.. kinda hard to compete.

I have been up since 6am doing photos from Hardwood, so I may seem a bit testy

Thanks

Editoress

#3 ernie

ernie

Uber Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:58 PM

As Tracey mentions, the responsibility for getting results to the media rests with the organisers - not with the media themselves. Local clubs who complain about lack of coverage of their activities should perhaps appoint a press officer whose mandate is to make media contacts, get a commitment for regular space in the paper/radio/TV programme and then make sure that the information on their activities -date, venue, type of event, contact names, results, are sent in on a regular basis. Years ago, we had to rely on personal contacts and hand-written reports but now, with the information explosion, it should be easy to get the news to the media before it ceases to be news.

#4 saorroth

saorroth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:12 AM

I don’t want to crap on Canadian Cyclist – Tracy and Rob do a great job of keeping us all connected to the exploits of Canadian cyclists, and to a lesser extent the larger world of cycling. I am grateful for their efforts.

At the same time, I have a problem with Ernie’s assertion that role of cycling publications should be to sit back and report whatever the organizers (and presumably teams, manufacturers, sponsors, etc) feed to them. If that is all they do it is not journalism, it is advertising. Re-printing reports by the organizers and the teams is not news – it is promotion. I am not accusing Rob and Tracy of bad journalism, since they always identify the source of the information, and I am happy that they reprint these reports as a service to the Canadian cycling community. But as journalists, they have a different role to play. Is there a story behind the results? I was amazed that there seemed to be no coverage at all of the mass disqualification of an entire team (mostly Canadians) at the Killington Stage Race. I would have liked to see a bit of investigative reporting into that one.

Did anyone see Vroomen’s interview on Cyclingnews? (http://www.cyclingne...sso-and-schleck). He criticized the cycling press for being part of the problem by not being critical journalists. The truth is that there has been more critical reporting of the problems in cycling by Randy Starkman in the Toronto Star then there has been by Canadian cycling publications. For example, there is a giant elephant in the room of Canadian cycling that no one seems to want to touch. I believe that Michael Barry is clean. But the reality is that he rode for two teams that are deeply implicated in doping scandals, and has been personally implicated by Landis. He has written a book about his experiences with US Postal that does not seem to mention doping. If Landis and Hamilton are correct, Barry, at the least, is part of the cover-up. Journalists would be looking into this. Athletes should be subjected to careful scrutiny before and after they are elevated to pedestals.

I understand that as a small operation, CC is limited in its scope of activities. In the past, we have occasionally had brief glimpses into their journalistic capabilities in articles about the 2003 World Championships, the Hamilton performance centre, etc. I wish we had more of that kind of reporting. Another example right in their own back yard – what is the story behind the tribulations of the Canadian Championships this year?

#5 glenlivit

glenlivit

Uber Member

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:45 AM

The situation with "cycling publications" is evolving, for good and bad. At one time it was all print and revenues were tied to advertising and publications could RELY on that revenue.

With the move to all online, the scope of where and when news arrives has changed, dramatically. The blogosphere can scoop news at any time, producing news that is correct, incorrect, speculation, malicious in nature whatever and not be accountable to anyone or anything. Traditional news suppliers are hampered by sticking to fact and truth. Investigative journalism is the hardest being hit. All news online and print have seen a serious decline in this type of writing and reason is expense and time. It is expensive to have a time dedication to one writer "on it" to only be scooped by some blogger/twitterer....

It is expensive to cover a wide variety of events. As previously stated the cycling online news is being increasingly dominated by one publication, CyclingNews. A mega million (billion) company that is swallowing up publications of all sorts in its wake. It can afford much coverage, but it too must play by the rules. Fact and Truth.

So you want to go after Michael Barry? To what end. To destroy his career? Whether he answers the direct question he will then be part of the conversation and there are those who have a "he's guilty by association" attitude that is disgusting. Landis IMHO hooked onto Barry because Barry's squeeky clean. To bring him down would be a huge feather in Landis' cap, and a diversion from Landis' lies and deceit.

Anyway Rage on

#6 ernie

ernie

Uber Member

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:45 AM

Agree with Saaroth for the larger, elite events but at the local level you have to attract and keep the media attention before they will begin to look more carefully at your activities. Once the media receive regular reliable reports on local racing , they will often start to do features on the local club scene and do the kind of reporting to which Saaroth refers.

#7 DavidBrent

DavidBrent

Uber Member

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:56 AM

The reality with the cycling media is the stories that get covered are those that make it easy to be covered. Spider Tech does an excellent job making sure their story gets out there. And as touched upon the reality is whith small staff operations if you make the information easy to access it will get better coverage. Increasing staff to cover added events likely just isn't a realistic option for many cycling media set-ups.

The quality of coverage of the womens race on cycling news can also possibly be attributed to the fact their reporter is an female canadian ex-racer- so she has a bit more of an interest in what is happening there. Philly is also a tough race to cover with limited manpower since both races happen concurrently.

A team like Juvederm has had a pretty phenominal break-out season but if they had someone making sure that their race reports were hitting the desks of CC, Pedal, Cyclingnews, Velonews ect., in quick and timely fashions then the coverage they would get would likely increase significantly.

#8 blarg

blarg

Uber Member

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:34 AM

Kevin

Watching women's racing is about as exciting as watching paint dry. Reading about women's racing is even less so. Unless it's Clara winning, then it's good.

#9 Editoress

Editoress

Uber Member

• Admin
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:41 AM

See Daily News

This started out as a reply to a thread on the Forums - CC Reporting on Liberty Classic: Fail - which has developed into a good discussion, and that I'm glad to see happening. As it got longer, it turned into an Op-Ed piece. I encourage you to read the thread before continuing with this piece.

As Tracy noted in the thread, there are only the two of us, so we are limited in our ability to cover events by both time and cost. We do employ some freelancers, but that is also limited by cost and reliability - we have given many people an opportunity over the years (arranging press credentials, a place to stay, expenses, etc.), only to to have them fail to follow through. There are also so many events going on across the country (and riders competing internationally) at this time of year that it is not feasible to have a designated person for every event.

Therefore, for local events we rely on the organizers and you, the cycling community. I have consistently told anyone who has asked: "Yes, we will run your report on the local weekly time trial, trail day, your in-race blow-by-blow ... you just have to send it in. We will edit it and provide a promo for your club/team/sponsor in the process." Unfortunately, only about 1 in 50 actually do so.

The rest of the response is here

#10 Emile_d

Emile_d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:11 PM

See Daily News

This started out as a reply to a thread on the Forums - CC Reporting on Liberty Classic: Fail - which has developed into a good discussion, and that I'm glad to see happening. As it got longer, it turned into an Op-Ed piece. I encourage you to read the thread before continuing with this piece.

As Tracy noted in the thread, there are only the two of us, so we are limited in our ability to cover events by both time and cost. We do employ some freelancers, but that is also limited by cost and reliability - we have given many people an opportunity over the years (arranging press credentials, a place to stay, expenses, etc.), only to to have them fail to follow through. There are also so many events going on across the country (and riders competing internationally) at this time of year that it is not feasible to have a designated person for every event.

Therefore, for local events we rely on the organizers and you, the cycling community. I have consistently told anyone who has asked: "Yes, we will run your report on the local weekly time trial, trail day, your in-race blow-by-blow ... you just have to send it in. We will edit it and provide a promo for your club/team/sponsor in the process." Unfortunately, only about 1 in 50 actually do so.

The rest of the response is here

Great Op-Ed piece.

#11 Red October

Red October

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:43 PM

Keep up the good work!
Give me a ping Vasily, one ping only!

#12 DaveButler

DaveButler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:07 PM

@Redrider

I think you see some of the limitations of the staff of CC (via editorial).

But I'd say, did the people you know on those teams file a race report after the event? Canadian Cyclist would have run it in most cases. If the riders/team did not send an article into various publications, post on a team blog or even use twitter, I think the team needs to reconsider its promotional campaign.

Yes, yes I know its hard work. I've been through it myself many, many times.

I've mentioned this to several people in the past, if I was running a team now, one of the first things I'd do is hire a PR person.

#13 Redrider

Redrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:23 PM

@Redrider

But I'd say, did the people you know on those teams file a race report after the event? Canadian Cyclist would have run it in most cases. If the riders/team did not send an article into various publications, post on a team blog or even use twitter, I think the team needs to reconsider its promotional campaign.

I've mentioned this to several people in the past, if I was running a team now, one of the first things I'd do is hire a PR person.

Dave, and others, I understand the limitations of the CC staff. Some of these I knew beforehand, some were new to me through this discussion.
The editoress and I have traded personal messages on this discussion, but the short version of what I said to her is while the teams needing to do self-promotion is a valid point, at the same time the reality is most people on the elite teams I know are their own racers, managers, coaches, travel planners and mechanics all rolled into one. Some are also parents. Getting to a race, doing the race, then driving home in time to go to work at that 9-5 job on Monday is the reality. The teams and individual riders just don't have the resources - time or money - to be able to do the type of self promotion so many others suggest is needed. That probably applies to most of the men's and women's teams racing in Canada, even with the help of sponsors.

I also believe there is an expectation among racers and fans that the cycling news outfits will follow the bigger events. The Liberty Classic was arguably the biggest one day race of the year for women in North America, so I believe the press should have been there, not waiting for race reports from the racers. My criticism on that point was not just CC, but the other major cycling news outfits too. As I said, Velonews mis-identified a photo of Lex Albrecht, that is an unforgivable editorial mistake in my opinion.

I also think that CC or any news organization relying primarily on user submitted info for stories is not healthy. It will, and I actually think has already, lead to a situation where only certain regions, teams or events get coverage – those that send in info – leaving others that deserve coverage empty. If the editors only follow the info being sent to them, there is lots being missed.

Regardless of my criticisms, I also do think that CC is a valuable resource for Canadian bike racers and racing, certainly far better than the other Canadian cycling news sites. In that light, I will try to participate and contribute the race reports and photos for the events and riders that I think deserve the promotion in CC when I can. This will not include masters events.

Regards,

Kevin

#14 brat

brat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:01 AM

@Redrider

Ha ha... hire a PR person? That makes me laugh.

Sure, it's super easy to submit race reports and get them posted. We also can and do our reports on our website, twitter and FB- which I think are really more appropriate venues for self-promotion than CC. We might mention the other teams and some fellow Canadians that were there, but these race reports are never really very balanced are they? Not really news but marketing and promotion. I don't think Redrider was looking for more marketing, but news- a journalist account of what happened there!

Ha ha hire a PR person.... ha ha ha ha ha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users