national team gear

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_embarassed_*

Guest_embarassed_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2004 - 01:29 PM

isn't it time to change our countries national team clothing, it looks like something out of a 1985 madonna video... i noticed we had some new clothes at the tour de montreal yet they they actually changed it to an even lighter blue which is by far one of the worst colors i have seen yet.. who thinks its time for a change, maybe something like the italians jersey. how about that? maybe if we had faster looking clothes we would ride faster at worlds?

#2 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2004 - 01:35 PM

are we going to go on about this again?

Seems to me this has been rehashed so many times. Everyone has a bitch, but no one can say what they like better, or comes up with a better design. Take a look at the other countries national garb ..... SOOOO BORING. it basically all looks the same - different colours, same crap.

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2004 - 08:08 PM

shows what you know, thats not even national team kit.
its the "young" women's team

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2004 - 08:43 PM

Duh!

Fashion changes .. mostly in a tech sport like cycling.

You can have a great bike etc... but throw on the old eyewear, helmet and kit and it just does not cut it.

Time to move along with our kit. Been the same for way too long!!

#5 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2004 - 08:50 PM

change for sake of change?

show us what you like and let the "masses" decide.

#6 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2004 - 08:26 PM

The Natioanl Team has hardly any money as it is.

#7 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2004 - 10:43 AM

Yes, they are cash-strapped. But they look rediculous. I am sure many of the riders wouldn't mind ponying up a few bucks to look up-to-date...besides, doesn't Louis Garneau give the jerseys to the team members?

Someone should get on them about this...not only does it look bad on Canada, but also on LG.

:ph34r:

the ninja

#8 Guest_ed a_*

Guest_ed a_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2004 - 11:35 AM

The CCA, like the OCA and FQSC, should sell their clothing and accessories on-line and market them through local shops. Thta would raise their profile and generate revenue. It would lower the cost to them of the clothing they need for their teams.

I have heard their argument that you have to ''earn' these jersey and they are special. That's bullS**t. You can buy Yellow, Green and Spotted jerseys from the Tour de France. It does not lessen Lance Armstrong's feats.

You can buy jersey for the Montreal Canadian and the New York Yankees, the most successful and glorified franchises in sport but it doesn't mean you are on their team.

Ever been to a an NFL game? Half the stadium, 30,000 people, seem to be wearing the home teams jersey.

If we started to market this sport properly for a change it could raise itself out of the dumps.

Federations and the CCA have to beg for waterbottles to do stage races. If they bought a few thousand and sold them on-line or in certain stores they would have all they needed for free.

The powers that be run this sport like a charity instead of a business and that is what it has become: a charity case. Why this new CCA Foudation Committee even makes it offcial.

People will buy this stuff if given the opportuity. Sponsors woud be more interested in getting involed if they could see their logos on their provincial jerseys sold in shops. Then you could change it more often. That way people are buying last year's model and not the current jersey.

That's what we did with Evian. Aussie Racing Apparel sold 2000 of our jerseys in the US. We sold anothe 500 or so ourselves in Canada.

Without us lifting finger Aussie Racing Apparel gave us $5000US (five thousand) in cash plus all our clothing. Ask Garneau if he has ever done that for anybody.

This is not rocket science. It is marketing 101.

#9 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2004 - 11:47 AM

Maybe it's bacause you were unable as a rider to be on the team and to deserve the national clothing

As all pro in europe what they think about people wearing yellow jersey

#10 Guest_ed a_*

Guest_ed a_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2004 - 12:02 PM

I think you meant to write ''Ask pros in europe what they think about wearing the Yellow Jersey....''

I think the more intellignet pros realize that the fat slob wearing the Yellow jersey he ordered by mail pays for some of his salary, that's what I think they would say.

We are not talking about the Shroud of Christ, man.

Do you even know why the Yellow jersey IS yellow?. It is yellow because L'Èquipe Sporting News, the original and current sponsor of the Tour de France, has its front page in yellow to SELL and MARKET it. That, BTW, is where the English term ''yellow journalism'', similar to tabloid journlasim in meaning, comes from. The Tour of Italy has pink because La Gazzetta del Sport used pink instead of yellow.

So don't get too high and mighty and all righteous about a sacred yellow jersey. It was just a marketing stunt.

#11 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2004 - 12:08 PM

I'm not sure if anyone who is argueing that the National Team stuff is ugly has had the opportunity to wear your countries clothing. Trust me once you've earned the right to wear it you don't care what it looks like, your proud to wear it.

As for Ed A's comment, you may have a valid arguement. Clothing could be a source of income. However, the key flaw I see is that most of the sports, including the Tour de France are PRO sports and the jerseys (especially the yellow jersey) are only partial replicas. Do you have any rebuttal to this?

#12 Guest_They think "So what"_*

Guest_They think "So what"_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2004 - 12:24 PM

I saw this picture from a couple of years back, of a Grand Fondo ride in Italy where basically anybody with a bike can ride, everybody, yes EVERYBODY was wearing a pink Gazetta della Sport jersey just like the Giro winner. There were THOUSANDS of them. They're fans! Nobody's accusing them of being poseurs let alone wankers. Anybody can buy a hockey or soccer jersey, NASCAR replica clothing, whatever. Try adjusting your perspective - the paid athletes are earning SALARIES and ENDORSEMENTS not clothes.

Where this really becomes a big, serious issue is with club riders who don't want outsiders wearing their kit. After all these people might think they were entitled to an equivalent store discount without really "earning" it .... quelle horreur! :lol:

Ed A is right on the money here as regards Canadian National clothes - market the stuff more and the CCA might be able to update it more often. There's nothing wrong with showing a bit of suport for the National teams, aside from trying to show up for a race wearing it if you aren't actually on the CCA roster.

#13 Guest_EGA_*

Guest_EGA_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2004 - 01:31 PM

Trust me once you've earned the right to wear it you don't care what it looks like, your proud to wear it.

As for Ed A's comment, you may have a valid arguement. Clothing could be a source of income. However, the key flaw I see is that most of the sports, including the Tour de France are PRO sports and the jerseys (especially the yellow jersey) are only partial replicas. Do you have any rebuttal to this?

Replicas or not doesn't really make that much different.

Replicas in most other pro spots like hockey or football is a cost issue. The real jerseys are obviously better made than the souvenir shop stuff. That is not as much a concern in cycling since often the regular short sleeve jerseys are about the same quality on most teams and for recreational riders.

Some of the more specialize stuff (long-sleeved, lined or perforated) would not be sold publicly.

Often what is sold to recreational cyclists is team stuff with the last year's sponsors or with not all the sponsored added.

Whatever the case, and no matter who your supplier, you have many more options with them if you are ordering 1000 jersyes instead of 100. Don't forget there is a bunch of our stuff too like casual wear, t-shirts, musettes, waterbottles, etc. CCA or a province could sell them all. They use all of them, so they could sell them. They do not even need to do it themselves, there are companies specialized in this sort of thing.

We just have to think outside the box for a damn minute every now and then instead of business, or in this case non-busines, as usual.

#14 Guest_I agree with EGA_*

Guest_I agree with EGA_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2004 - 03:07 PM

...whether the sale of replica clothing, bottles etc. is going to dramatically change the financial picture is up for debate but the concept is good.

The argument against replica clothing is pathetic at best! If something is viewed as valuable enough for the general public to shell out hard cash at a premium price then the prestige of the real kit (and riders) is actually amplified. Could also be the stuff looks cool and current (which brings us back to the issue raised in the OP). Just don't try it with certain motorcycle or street gang stuff though!

#15 Guest_Oh, Eddie baby.._*

Guest_Oh, Eddie baby.._*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2004 - 06:25 PM

The things you could do if it weren't for your disorder...

You make some pretty good sense some of the time, but then out of the blue... bam. You go all nutty.

If we could just take you and Bakal and toss you into a big blender....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users