2 replies to this topic

#1 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:12 AM

Anyone have a comments on using the Tufo extreme weather tape instead of glue for winter tubbies ? thx

#2 Vates

Vates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:42 PM

This is awfully late, I'm surprised no one else ever responded but, if you're still pondering the question... the new tapes, such as TUFO's, work fine. Make sure you follow the directions! The rim should be pretty clean as should the base tape on the tyre. If it's an older tyre with lots of old glue on the base tape, then stay with glue. If you're mounting new tyres on a clean rim, the tape is as good as glue. I know riders who used tape on velodromes with no problems.

Oh, by the way, if it's an older tyre, you could just pull the base tape off, and use the tape on the clean surface of the tyre itself that was covered by the tape.

Make sure you pump the tyre hard, roll the wheel applying your weight on the wheel to 'seat' the tyre/tape. Leave to set for a few hours.

#3 stork

stork

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:22 PM

I thought I'd add my .02 on Vates' comments.....

I stay with glue because once you've gone glue you can't go back. I made the mistake ONCE using tape over a previously glued rim and the tape will not come off. It took literally more than 10 hours of scrubbing w/ a wire brush and solvents to make a dent in the tape/glue matrix removal. I ran out of patience and ended up tossing the wheel. (It was quite worn).

Bottom line, don't mix and match....

s.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users