Front Fork Jitter

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gwest2_*

Guest_gwest2_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2005 - 11:37 PM

I have a Cannondale cross bike with a carbon fork and cantilever breaks. When I use the front break the fork "jitters" (for lack of a better word) back and forth until I lay off the break again. It doesn't smoothly come to a stop, but it vibrates uncontrollably in a front to back motion (probably only millimetres each time). I've checked my headset and everything seems tight. Does anyone have any suggestions on what this might be?

#2 Guest_Dave Noisy_*

Guest_Dave Noisy_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2005 - 11:39 PM

Might be sticky brake pads..? Are they new? Try sanding them a bit. I'd get something like this on my MTB every now and then.

Could also be something on your rim...or mis-aligned brake pads.

#3 Guest_Big Daddy_*

Guest_Big Daddy_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2005 - 07:46 AM

I second the brake pad idea try "toeing" them in angle the front/leading edge so that they do not grab all at once.

#4 Guest_Riddler_*

Guest_Riddler_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2005 - 11:51 AM

I have the same problem with my Ridley CX. I have been told the same , try new brake pads or camber them. Let me know if it works.

#5 Guest_Matt_*

Guest_Matt_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2005 - 11:44 AM

I had the same problem with my fork. I cured it with a brake booster. The carbon fiber fork would allow the brake mounts to twist slightly causing the chatter. Adding the booster removed the flex, problem solved. YMMV

Matt

#6 Guest_amos_*

Guest_amos_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:34 PM

I also had a similar problem although my results were a little scarier (on my road bike). Had the same front fork chatter that I couldn't get rid of. After a few more rides the vibrations became worse. Thought it might be my headset coming loose so I adjusted it which helped the problem for about 20kms but then it was getting loose again.

Went home and yanked everything apart only to find the bonding on my steerer tube where it's bonded to the crown had cracked and the steerer was working it's way loose. It's pressed down onto the crown so when it cracked it didn't fall apart but a ride or two more and the steerer would've seperated. Not something I want to think about!

#7 Guest_dunc_*

Guest_dunc_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2005 - 03:23 PM

On my mtb I had brake squel and chatter. Redid the toe in, cleaned the pads, changed the pads. Still had the problem. Changed the brakes from Avid ultimates to XT Shimano now it works great.

#8 Guest_torrent_*

Guest_torrent_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2005 - 04:24 PM

I had the same problem with my Cx bike...and thought it may be the pads...however, I fixed it this week.

carbon fork (with aluminum steer tube)

shimano canti's (new ones)

mavic kyserium elite wheels (and Open pros)

here's what I did:

loosened off the brake pads, one at a time, put a nickel behind the rear of the pad (theoretically the last contact point, if you "toe the pad in").

so on the front pads, put the nickel at the rear of the pad, loosen off, adjust pad to correct position, apply brake, and tighten pad.

on the rear, place nickel at rear of pad, repeat as same as above for adjustment.

this fixed my fork chatter perfectly. (mine was horrible...did the Kingston Cx race last Saturday (maiden voyage of my new bike), man did they shudder...so its fixed now).

goodluck.

W

#9 Guest_Legoman_*

Guest_Legoman_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2005 - 04:42 AM

Honestly, The combination of Canti's and forks is bad. Actually if youhave a set of V-Brakes get a rolamajig and run them on the front. Likity split problem fixed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users