Cracked Zipp 404

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Bidds_*

Guest_Bidds_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2005 - 01:15 PM

I have some Velomax Tempist II( Zipp 404 carbon rim), and when i was setting up the brake pads i grabbed the lever and heard a cracking sound :o I think it sounded like the foam inside squishing. it looks fine. Any thoughts?

#2 Guest_D-Queued_*

Guest_D-Queued_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2005 - 04:47 PM

I am not familiar with a cracking sound, but am familiar with a creak.

My 404's are prone to 'creaking'. Took me forever to figure it out and was very disconcerting after investing so much money.

This noise comes from the Zip axle and not the rim. If you push sideways on the rim with your fingers you can hear it. This is fixed by tightening up the axle nuts (yes they should be tight) -- pull the skewer, insert allen keys, tighten. As the loose condition will prematurely wear the axle and mess up the fit inside the incredibly expensive bearings, it is a good idea to check every so often.

As the brake calipers can be slightly off center, the noise can be heard when braking as well. More commonly heard when riding out of the saddle.

No idea if this is a similar situation with your hubs.

The carbon and rim appear pretty damn strong to me. But then being on the light side of 200 lb is unfamiliar territory.

Dave.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users